LINDSAY MUIR

Graphic Designer


BEGINNINGS & RESEARCH

From the beginning of the graphic design thesis course, I always knew I would end up with a focus on fashion. Even before thesis began, I was styling, shooting and designing a look book in my Interaction Design course, creating colorful patterns in my Basic Printmaking course and experimenting with my hands whenever I could. Deciding to establish Wildflower, a small fashion brand with a pop-up store display, was the best decision I could have made for myself. It allowed me to stay enthusiastic throughout the process, even during times of stress and creative block. 


OVERALL BRAND & IDENTITY MOODBOARD

PATTERN & MARK-MAKING MOODBOARD

watercolor-flowers.png

PATTERN-MAKING

From the beginning of my thesis project, I knew I wanted to create painterly, bold textile patterns. Most of my graphic design education consisted of time spent on the computer, so it was difficult to break the habit of digital ornamentation. Gradually, I became more experimental and less concerned with making discernible illustrations, scanning long brush strokes, paint splatters and other abstract elements that I worked into my compositions. Most of my patterns were produced from a singular object or a select few pieces from paintings and doodles, which were multiplied and resized repeatedly.


SKETCHBOOK SAMPLES

EARLY PATTERNS


I experienced a eureka moment when I painted a single, watercolor rose. Combining it with brush strokes, dashes, paint sprays and watercolor leaves from a previous pattern draft, I developed a dynamic pattern composition with textural depth and rich colors. I finally had a production process down and an aesthetic I loved, and immediately fabricated another textile pattern. By the beginning of March, I had two finalized patterns: Experimental Rose and Deconstructed Ginkgo. 



PHOTOSHOOT & LOOKBOOK CREATION

For the photoshoot, I wanted to photograph my clothing and models within natural scenery full of flowers and other foliage. My college town of New Paltz was a great place for this kind of backdrop. I also wanted the whole experience to be relatively casual and fun. I had my models bring their own clothes and accessories to create outfits along with my own garments, and I didn't worry about styling hair or makeup. Together, we ran around the nearby Nature Preserve, picking flowers, laughing and running through neighboring fields.

Unfortunately, many of the photographs came out blurry because I insist on using manual focus. This wasn't the best for all of the movement my models and I were doing, but I still ended up with a few great shots. Deciding to keep the look book short and sweet (this was a last minute creation), I utilized my photographs, elements from my patterns and floral overlays to create textural, fun spreads. I also played around with the idea of varied page sizes, ultimately deciding on slightly smaller, colorful front and back pages that offset the black and white photographs on the covers. I bound the book with brass fasteners, which I thought added a nice element and saved me a lot of time.